1977, LL.B., University of British Columbia
1973, B.A, University of British Columbia
1978, British Columbia
Andrew was born in Vancouver of parents who had immigrated to Canada from Poland. All of his education was obtained in Vancouver. Andrew speaks Polish as well as English and is active within the Polish community. His commitment to multiculturalism has enabled him to represent clients from all over the world. Andrew is married and has one son.
Since his call to the Bar, Andrew has practiced as a barrister and solicitor. He has served as a member of the Immigration Appeal Board (1986 to 1989) and as Assistant Deputy Chair of the Immigration Appeal Division, Immigration and Refugee Board (1989 to 1993).
Preferred Areas of Practice
Immigration, refugee, citizenship and customs law including:
- Applications for permanent residence in Canada under the independent, family and business categories
- Applications under various categories of the Provincial Nominee Program
- Applications for positive labour market opinions from Service Canada and work and study permits and visitor visas
- Applications for Permanent Resident cards and Canadian citizenship
- Litigation before all Divisions of the Immigration and Refugee Board in immigration inquiries, detention reviews, immigration appeals from removal orders and sponsorship appeals and refugee claims
- Litigation before the Federal Court of Canada and Supreme Court of Canada on immigration, citizenship, refugee and customs matters
- Advice regarding the safe entry of goods and services across the Canadian border
- Assistance with government agencies, the courts and tribunals as needed.
- Advice regarding country of origin adoption agreements with Canada;
- Advice regarding process, timelines and completion of required applications
- Assistance with litigation where and as needed
Wills & Estates:
- Estate planning including preparation of wills, enduring Power of Attorneys and Representation Agreements
- Estate Litigation
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member and Past Chair, Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association B.C. Branch
- Past Chair of the Overseas Committee of the Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association B.C. Branch.
- Former Executive member, National Citizenship and Immigration Section, Canadian Bar Association
- General Counsel to various Polish Community organizations Guest Lecturer for continuing education programs of the Canadian Bar Association National and Provincial Immigration Sections.
- Guest Lecturer on immigration related topics for the Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C.
- Guest Lecturer for Access Justice on immigration related topics
- Immigration law lecturer for the Certification Program for Immigration Practitioners offered through a program organized by the University of British Columbia
- Author of numerous articles on Immigration related topics and a guide for appeals before the Immigration Appeal Division published by Thomson Publishing.
- Past President of the Vancouver Multicultural Society and Folkfest.
- Former Producer of the Polish Television Program at Rogers Cable
- Gold Medal from the Canadian Polish Congress in recognition of work within the community.
- Public Service Award from Government of Canada for membership in team that developed the Alternate Dispute Resolution System for the Immigration Appeal Division, Immigration and Refugee Board.